Composition Deferoxamine Mesylate 500mg
Primary Use Treatment of iron overload
Medicine Overview of Desferal 500mg 1s
Uses of Desferal 500mg 1s
Desferal 500 mg Injection is used in the treatment of iron overload and transfusion dependent thalassemia.
Desferal 500mg 1s side effects
Flushing (sense of warmth in the face, ears, neck and trunk), Rash, Decreased blood pressure, Abdominal pain.
How to use Desferal 500mg 1s
Your doctor or nurse will give you this medicine. Kindly do not self administer.
How Desferal 500mg 1s works
Desferal 500 mg Injection traps and removes excess iron which is then excreted mainly in the stools. This reduces the risk of organ damage.
In Depth Information on Desferal 500mg 1s
Expert advice for Desferal 500mg 1s
- Ocular and auditory disturbances have been reported when Desferal was administered over prolonged periods of time, at high doses, or in patients with low ferritin levels. The ocular disturbances observed have been blurring of vision; cataracts after prolonged administration in chronic iron overload; decreased visual acuity including visual loss, visual defects, scotoma; impaired peripheral, color, and night vision; optic neuritis, cataracts, corneal opacities, and retinal pigmentary abnormalities. The auditory abnormalities reported have been tinnitus and hearing loss including high frequency sensorineural hearing loss. In most cases, both ocular and auditory disturbances were reversible upon immediate cessation of treatment.
- Visual acuity tests, slit-lamp examinations, funduscopy and audiometry are recommended periodically in patients treated for prolonged periods of time. Toxicity is more likely to be reversed if symptoms or test abnormalities are detected early.
- Increases in serum creatinine (possibly dose-related), acute renal failure and renal tubular disorders, associated with the administration of deferoxamine, have been reported in postmarketing experience. Monitor patients for changes in renal function.
- High doses of Desferal and concomitant low ferritin levels have also been associated with growth retardation. After reduction of Desferal dose, growth velocity may partially resume to pretreatment rates.
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome, also reported in children, has been described following treatment with excessively high intravenous doses of Desferal in patients with acute iron intoxication or thalassemia.
Desferal 500mg 1s related warnings
Special precautions for Desferal 500mg 1s
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Desferal 500 mg Injection may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Desferal 500 mg Injection is probably safe to use during lactation. Limited human data suggests that the drug does not represent a significant risk to the baby.
Do not drive unless you are feeling well. If you experience dizziness or other central nervous disturbances, or impairment of vision with the use of Desferal 500 mg Injection then you should refrain from driving a vehicle.
Desferal 500 mg Injection should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Desferal 500 mg Injection may be needed. Please consult your doctor. Use of Desferal 500 mg Injection is not recommended in patients with severe kidney disease.
There is limited information available on the use of Desferal 500 mg Injection in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor.
What if you miss a dose of Desferal 500mg 1s?
If you miss a dose of Desferal 500 mg Injection, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.